Everyone doubts themselves, it is a normal human reaction to new situations or when you must make big decisions. Everyone has regrets, moments of indecision and doubt. The challenge is to not let this self-doubt hold you back from moving forward and achieving.
Easier said than done right? Wrong. You can overcome self-doubt! These are a few of the ways I overcome self-doubt, hopefully they will help you.
- EVERYONE doubts themselves. It is naïve to assume the likes of Oprah Winfrey, Shonda Rhimes and Amy Poehler don’t doubt themselves because they do. Most of them admit it. Success does not mean you suddenly have no doubt. So why should you care? Because this means you are not alone. What you are experiencing is normal and it is possible to overcome self-doubt and become successful.
- Comparison is the thief of joy and the fuel for self-doubt. Stop doing it. It really is that simple and one of the best ways to overcome self-doubt. There are hundreds of people doing what I do, some doing it better, some doing it worse, some doing it the same. Spending my time comparing myself to them is not productive because I am not them and I am not trying to be them, I am trying to be the best I can be. There are lessons to be learnt from those around but avoid comparing yourself. Everyone’s journey is different.
- Surround yourself with positive people. When you become an entrepreneur, this is probably the single most valuable lesson you can learn. Cut out the negative noise. If clients aren’t adding to your business, let them go. If friends are bringing you down, let them go. You deserve a tribe who is honest, positive and will help you succeed and celebrate when you do.
- Remember how far you have come. Even if today is the first day of your life as an entrepreneur there are successes you can celebrate. Having the courage to leave a secure 9-5 to pursue your dream is something you should celebrate every day. Take look back over the last 3 months and write down everything you have achieved! You will find that there is very little reason for the self-doubt you are feeling.
- Learn to accept failure as a part of learning. Self-doubt often stems from the fear of failure. As an entrepreneur it is vital to change your internal narrative around failure. Failing is not the end. It is, very often, the beginning if you learn the lessons. Failure is important for growth because it strengthens your resilience and teaches you something, every single time. (Quote What if I fail? Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?”)
- Be decisive. Don’t avoid making decisions, when it is necessary, make the decision and make it confidently. It is possible to change your mind, change the decision and change course if you need to. There is no shame in making the wrong decision.
- Listen to affirmations. I started doing this late last year and it such a powerful tool to quieten the negative noise in your head. There are apps you can download in both iTunes and the Play store. Most of them encourage you to listen for at least 21 days in a row. I have found that often I am my own worst enemy, so I am changing the way I talk to myself!